Vision and values
Ark is an education charity and one of the country’s top-performing school networks. We believe that education can transform lives. Each school in the Ark network is unique and has its own ethos and character, but we all share the same mission: to give every child the very best start so that, when the time comes, they’re able to go on to university or the career of their choice.
The principles of Ark are captured in our six pillars:
1. High Expectations: We believe that, with the right teaching and support, every child is capable of going on to university or into a rewarding career. So we encourage children to aim high in everything they do.
2. Exemplary Behaviour: In school, nothing makes a bigger difference to a child than great teaching. We work especially hard to recruit, train and support excellent teachers.
3. Excellent Teaching: We are a warm, happy and inclusive school. We treat each other with courtesy and respect, and we praise and reward good behaviour and effort.
4. Depth Before Breadth: Doing well in English and maths is really important for pupils, as it helps them to succeed in other areas. That’s why all our children have literacy, English and maths lessons every day.
5. More Time For Learning: To make sure children have enough time both for core subjects and for extra-curricular activities, many of our schools run a longer school day. Others are open at weekends and during school holidays, offering masterclasses and revision sessions. Many Ark schools offer residential stays, day trips and summer schools. In every school, no time is wasted - every hour of every day is devoted to children learning.
6. Knowing Every Child: We know that children do best at school when families and staff work together. So we make sure that every child knows, and is known by, every adult in the school. We also work closely with families, keeping them up to date with how their children are doing and helping them to support their children outside school hours.